Thursday, November 20, 2008

Turkey Day on the Way

Jeffrey, Mads, and I will be spending Thanksgiving at my parents house. Last year, I really wanted to make something to contribute to the meal, but I had a small dilemma. I couldn't cook. I searched for some easy recipes online and decided on a zucchini casserole. Hey, I like zucchini. It was supposed to come out all nice and creamy, with a beautiful layer of soft stuffing on the top. I don't know what I did wrong, but that stuffing could have cracked your teeth. Everyone tried it, my picky cousin included, and I got a lot of "MMmm, this is real good, Aimee, just real good". It was awful and I knew it. Jeffrey thought it was funny. After dinner, I vowed that I would become a master chef by the time Thanksgiving came around this year. I would show my whole family that I'm not totally incompetent in a kitchen, that I can make a tasty, wholesome, side dish that's also pleasing to the eye. I have one week left. Aside from turning produce into baby food, I haven't learned shit all year.

My Mum came over yesterday to watch Mads for an hour, and she casually reminded me that Thanksgiving is just around the corner.

Me: Oooh! What can I bring?? Do you need anything?
Mum: Uhhh, there's already going to be lots of food. Why don't you just pick up one of those cheese ball things at Walmart?
Me: I could make one.
Mum: No! Oh no, you don't have to do that, they're real cheap at Walmart.

I'll pick up her stupid cheese ball from Walmart, but dammit I'm going to make something too. I've spent the whole morning looking up Thanksgiving recipes. I figured I would bring some kind of hors d'oeuvre to compliment my Walmart ball of cheese, since themes make me happy. Spinach dip had too many ingredients, pumpkin dip was too easy, and antipasto platters just don't involve enough cooking for me. I've settled on stuffed mushrooms because I really like mushrooms, and hell, how can you screw up a mushroom stuffed with random junk? We'll see how it goes.

While I was doing my easy food search, I came across a post on Babycenter for Vagina Candies. I thought it was a typo, until I saw the picture.

They're right! It does look like a candy snatch! I'm totally making those things, too.



Vagina Candies
Preheat your oven to 350
1. Upwrap your Rolos. Place pretzels on baking sheet. Top with a Rolo.
2. Bake in oven for 3-5 minutes, until the chocolate just begins to melt. The Rolo should be soft but not completely melted.
3. Remove from oven, place on cooling rack and immediately squish the chocolate with a nut. Watch the caramel oooze out. YUM!

No comments: