Sunday, December 21, 2008

A Little Bit of Everything

I haven't had loads of time to write anything. Jeffrey's parents are staying with us for a week, and they arrived yesterday evening. We did a quick dinner at Olive Garden since Jeffrey was at work. Even though it was almost a whole hour after bed time, Mads took it like a champ. Our Christmas tree had a total of maybe four presents under it until Jeffrey's parents got here. There are packages spilling in front of the balcony door, stacks of boxes surrounding the tree, and gift bags by the front door. Combine this mess of gifts with the entire room full of presents that my Mum has for Babe, and we could totally start a daycare service. Where the heck am I supposed to put all those toys?

I knew that the Grandparents were going to go way overboard for Mads' first Christmas, so Jeffrey and I went way minimal on the baby gifts. Mads will receive a walker from us, nothing more, except some extra kisses and maybe some jammies.

Babe has been super excited to have these extra people in the house. She only put on her bashful face for about ten minutes before she warmed up. Now, it's almost like her G-parents have been here forever. It's awesome to have two extra pairs of eyes watching her and keeping her out of trouble. I feel like I'm on some kind of home bound vacation.

Mads has been pulling up on the glass coffee table, which would be fine if she could keep her mouth off of it. She can't. She just has to chew on it. She scrapes her teeth over the glass, it makes an awful noise that bugs the shit out of me, and dammit, it's dangerous. Pappy went out and bought a roll of plastic tubing, sliced it down the middle, and put a bumper the whole way around the table. It's fabulous. Not the prettiest thing, but truly fabulous.

The whole lot of us will be spending Christmas at my parent's house. I don't know what it is about Jeffrey's family and my family joining for a major holiday that makes me weepy, but I can't help feeling this odd sentimental wave every time I think about it. I think it's just the realization that one tiny baby, my baby, can join so many people into one huge family. It's fucking beautiful.

Pictures are at an all time low right now, as G-Ma's video camera has been running practically nonstop since they got here. I feel like I'm on a reality TV show. I wonder which character I am? The dumb blonde? The sophisticated brunette?

The answer would be, the sophisticated brunette. Bye-bye blonde, my locks are now a dark chocolate brown, and I absolutely love it. Why do I ever go back to blonde?

No comments: