Thursday, June 4, 2009

Ducks, Trucks and a "Joy Ride" Reference

I'm so sick of waiting around for Pennsylvania to get it's act together. The forecast for the week is rainy, cloudy, stormy and shitty. Babe and I can't be cooped up in this apartment any longer! So even though the sky looked ready to burst, I decided to take Mads to the park right down the road from our place. I figured if it did rain, we would be close enough to home that wet clothes wouldn't be a big deal. So I drive down the long dirt road to the park, and total score, it's deserted. But wait, as I'm turning the car off, a huge mack truck comes trundling down the lane. Now I'm not usually one to stereotype, but the truck driver didn't look like someone I wanted to be alone with in a park, especially with no one close enough to hear my desperate screams. I waited it out to see where he was going to land his rig (with the doors firmly locked of course), and when he backed that bitch up so close to my car that I couldn't even open my door if I wanted to (totally unnecessary), I had to fight the urge to scream "I'm not Paul Walker!! I'm not Candy Cane!!" Of course I didn't do that, but I did high-tail it out of there, kicking dirt and rocks all over his twenty foot tires. Crisis averted.

With the first park ruined by my fear of scruffy old men, we stopped at the house to grab some bread. We were going to the duck park instead. This is Madelynn's first encounter with large birds, birds that will eat your toes if you get too close, so of course I captured it all on my faithful camera.

Now these ducks were just a little too tame for my liking, I think they could smell our stash of bread hidden in my purse. One of those little buggers actually walked right over my foot.

The fish were Madelynn's favorite. Those suckers were huge. And hungry.

The playground bridge was my personal favorite. Talk about a Kodak moment.

Before leaving the park, Mads had the opportunity to have her picture taken with a local celebrity! (Not Paul Walker, unfortunately... Governor Beaver... Even better.)

And was absolutely amazed by his pretty light.

With our shoes caked in duck poo...

(I totally wore the wrong shoes for this excursion, BTW)

We stopped at the Hot-Dog-House where we shared a grilled cheese and some chicken noodle soup. And now, Jeffrey is home and I'm spending the rest of this Mommy-Daughter day hiding out on the porch. There's nothing like a little bit of soup and a shit-ton of poop to wipe a girl out. The sun will come out tomorrow. Bet your bottom dollar!

2 comments:

Megan said...

I think your phone's dead. Wanna go out tonight?

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!