Monday, September 15, 2008

But You're the Parent

So we went for Mady's 4 month today, and I was nervous all morning. After some positive reinforcement from a complete stranger, I was determined that she would NOT be getting all of her shots today. I went in there with this awful feeling in my stomach, worried that I was going to have to walk out in a huff and start looking for a new Doctor. When he asked me if I had any questions or concerns, I stumbled all over my words and could barely get the whole sentence out.

Me: Uhh, um, I've been reading about shots, and uhhh, um, I would really like to follow a delayed vaccination schedule, and um, well, I don't really know how I want to go about it because I feel like I, um, need to be more, uhh, educated before I make a decision, so uhh, I don't think I want any shots today, and uhh, I'm not sure what I'm going to do, but um, no. No shots.

Dr: Okay.

Me: Really?? You mean, wait, you mean, no shots? I thought it would be harder than this.

Dr: But you're the parent.

Ha! I'm the parent. Mady received one shot today instead of three. Next month she will receive two more, and from then on we will be following the schedule in Dr. Sears' vaccine book. I can't believe I was worried over nothing. I had heard so many negative stories about Doctors who tell their patients that they won't change the schedule, and if they don't like it, they can go elsewhere. I had already planned on going elsewhere, but I was so shocked at his understanding.

I'm the parent. She's my child. I feel like I'm doing the right thing, and I feel so much better about this whole vaccine business. That empty pit of apprehension that's been churning in my stomach for the last two months is gone. What a great feeling.

Madelynn didn't even cry when she got her one shot. She was more than fine. Maybe she knew somehow that Mommy was prepared to fight, and that made the one shot seem less painful. At least that's what I choose to believe anyways.

13lbs 14oz, 24 3/4 in. She's beautifully average, and I couldn't have asked for a better four month visit.

Thank you Shannon.

No comments: