Wednesday, October 15, 2008

I Just Want a Fuckin Latte

Today Mum came over to watch Mady for a couple hours. Before Jeffrey and I had to leave, she asked us if we were still planning to go out for my birthday, and wanted to know what day we were going to do it. Jeffrey and I debated back and forth for almost an hour about whether we wanted to go out the weekend of my birthday, or the next week for Halloween. A whole hour spent discussing the 24th vs. the 31st, like there's really that big of a difference, but this was like debating healthcare policies or something. Uber-important.

Two years ago, we went out for my birthday and for Halloween, plus five of the seven nights in between. And we didn't need to consult my Mother about it either. When did these things become so hard?

I can't help but look back and miss the freedom we had. I love Madelynn and I could never picture my life without her now, but life was so convenient fifteen months ago. I don't necessarily mean all that partying and drinking, it was time for that crazy shit to stop anyways, but all the little things that used to be so easy are now a huge process. I took so many things for granted.

Let's take coffee as an example. If I wanted a cup of coffee, ya know the good kind, double shot espresso with caramel and steamed milk (biatch!), I would hop in my car, have it started before I even shut my door, run in-grab coffee-pay-home. Now if I want a cup of coffee (which this lactating mother can't drink anyway), I have to wait until Mady's in a good mood, make sure she's dressed weather appropriate, fight her into her carseat, run around looking for bunny lovey, drag her and 20lb. carseat down two flights of stairs, and then fight my two door car to fit that stupid carseat in. And that's just getting to the car. At the store: fight baby and 20lb. carseat out of two door car, lug her into store, talk to every single person that passes, get coffee while trying to keep her entertained, and pay while telling cashier her height, weight, age, favorite toy etc. Whew. Now "put your thang down flip it and reverse it", and that's coffee. Voila! Although I should say, those two flights of stairs are so much harder going up. Carrying baby, purse, and coffee that I am now too exhausted to even drink makes me want to buy 'Elevators for Dummies' and install the damn thing myself using nail clippers and bobby pins. Why the hell doesn't this place have an elevator?

I really want a latte, but God I love that baby.

Next time, I'll tell you what it's like to vacuum. You're probably tinkling yourself with excitement.

No comments: