Thursday, December 18, 2008

Shortbread Cookies

Jeffrey has been asking me to make him shortbread cookies. Usually when Jeffrey asks for cookies, I pick up a package of Chips Ahoy and tell him to have a nice day. Very rarely do I venture into the terrifying realm of baking. When I do, sugar cookies are my specialty considering their easy recipe, and Jeffrey can usually eat a whole batch in two days (that's like twenty-four big ass cookies people. Twenty cookies in two days.) After I had dragged his grumpy butt to Walmart today (that place was insane), I figured I would make him his silly cookies.

Here's the thing with shortbread cookies. They're uber-easy, but to make a really good one, you have to actually buy really good ingredients. Like 'grade A' butter and pricey vanilla. Now, I don't buy 'grade A' anything, nor do I splurge on really good vanilla, so my cookies are never The Bestest. But I do have a secret. Cornstarch. Find any recipe for shortbread cookies, replace a quarter of the flour with cornstarch, and you'll turn your cookies into melt-in-your-mouth goodness, instead of crumbling, messy, mess. Here's cookies that I made, but I used one and a half cups flour, and a half cup cornstarch instead.

Shortbread Cookies

2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter (I use margarine, but you're really not supposed to.)
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla (I use a little extra)

Alright, so first off, you need two bowls.
In your first bowl, mix the salt and the flour.
In your other bowl, stir the butter until it's smooth. I'm one of those wack-ass bakers that doesn't have a mixer, so I just do it by hand.
Add the powdered sugar and then beat that til smooth.
Stir in the vanilla.
Add your flour/salt and mix it all up.
It should be really thick. If you're mixing it by hand like I do, you should start to really feel the burn in your arm by now. Stir past the burn!!
Flatten your dough and then wrap it in plastic wrap, throw it in the fridge, and go watch the two episodes of The Hills that you missed.

So one hour later. Isn't Justin Bobby like, totally drool-worthy??

Roll your dough flat. How flat? I dunno, pretty flat. Oh put flour down first.
Cut your cookies, Mum uses a cookie cutter, I just use a glass, but whatever.
Put your cookies on a cookie sheet that has wax paper or parchment paper on it.
Throw them back in the fridge for about 10-15, and preheat your oven to 350.
Bake until they're a little brown, it was like 11 minutes in my oven.

And that's it. They're awesome if you use the cornstarch. I sprinkle a little sugar on the top for Jeffrey, but they're perfect without it.

Somehow, I burnt three of them. Only three. Is that even possible?

No comments: