Tuesday, August 12, 2008

In Case I Forget

I fully intend to make Mady read this blog when she's about my age. I wish my own mother had done something like this, so I could really know her. You just never know though, until you have your own baby.


There is no smell, like the smell, of a clean baby.

Baby hair is the best hair in the world, and even when it falls out, it still smells wonderful.

Little feet can still kick really hard.

Little hands have the tightest grip and look best wrapped around my finger.

A sleeping baby is the most beautiful thing in the world.

Second most beautiful thing, the look of contentment on a hungry baby's face when you feed her.

A smile is worth way more than a thousand words.

Kissing drool really isn't that bad. Totally doable.

There is nothing softer, or more perfect, than a baby's skin.

Blue eyes can turn to brown eyes, or they can stay blue with a ring of brown in the middle. Whichever happens, they are spectacular.

Baby gums look like they actually hold teeth, and I'm dreading the day they actually crop up.

There is no pain in the world worse than a tear on your baby's cheek. If there's a tear, it's really bad.

A screaming baby can be totally annoying, but the second they stop, your mind can't remember it.

Bath-time is not fun, and I fear that it will never be.

There's nothing that can replace the weight of a baby on your chest.

Shots hurt. Period.

You're going to tell me you hate me someday, and I already know, that will hurt forever.

An entire life changes in 41 weeks, it seems like a long time when it's happening, but it's actually too short.

There aren't enough hours in a day, days in a year, years in a lifetime. I don't want this to end.

It's hard not to cry, thinking about a day when I might forget what this is really like, every little detail.

You smile in your sleep, Madelynn. It breaks my heart every time.

I'm scared, of you, and for you.


They talk about people wearing their heart on their sleeve. I wear my heart in a hotsling every day.

No comments: