Sunday, August 24, 2008

Workin' Girl Part 2

I got my first work schedule. Two days. Like ten hours. It's perfect. What can I possibly miss in ten hours out of a week? Well now that I think about it, I guess a lot could happen in ten hours.

I'm super excited though. I'm learning how to socialize all over again. Can you believe some people aren't interested in hearing about Mady's latest trick? I had no idea! I just assumed that after I had a baby, everyone else would want to talk about rolling over, thumb sucking, and what the best diapers are. Nope. No one gives a damn. It's kind of nice, although I can't for the life of me remember what I used to talk about before Mady. Drugs, booze, sex, and the best way to steal soup? I guess so. People my age are entertaining to say the least. I can't believe I forgot all about them.

I miss Madelynn the whole time I'm gone, but it's OK. I feel like when I come home, I'm a better Mommy. I'm more tolerant of her crying spells, I appreciate every smile, and I have more things to talk about with her. I think getting a job is the best thing I could have done for our relationship. Even if I don't make any money, being social will make it totally worth it. I don't even care if I like any of the people I work with!

I'm so glad Jeffrey and I chose to be poor and happy, rather than throw our baby in some daycare. It's not like the sex isn't as good when you're broke. Going out to eat only on special occasions, and saving up for the little luxuries that we want (playstation 3 anyone?), is totally worth it if it means I can stay home with my baby 158 hours a week. And whatever I make in those 10 off hours, can go to Mady's college fund. How else will we ever be able to send my little genius to school?

My mother told me that this is exactly what her and Daddy did when I was a baby. She worked three nights a week waitressing while he worked full time. As the years went by, Daddy continued to move up in his position until it got to the point where Mum's income was just plain silly. She quit and was a stay at home mom for like ever, and honestly, I can't even remember her not being home so it must have been AGES ago. She stayed home until she was called upon to take care of my paternal grandparents, whom she gave up her life for, for 13 long years after she had already given it up so long for her own children (I have never met a more selfless person than my own mother). She just got her first "real" job at the age of 51 because taking care of their cat just wasn't enough anymore, and I couldn't be happier for her. I could totally live that dream (as long as I'm tending to my OWN parents... kidding, kidding). Now I just have to figure out how to get Jeffrey to go to work on time. Hm.

Oh look. Feet!


No comments: