Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Patience

I had to drive to Altoona today to get Jeffrey's "alcoholic-asshole-box" replaced. Why would I have to do this? Because he "forgot" that this was the absolute last day that he could do it and conveniently for him, he had to work.

So anyways, I had to take Madelynn with me because, as I said, absolute last day and all, and I wasn't informed that it had to be done until the "absolute" last damn minute. I dread having to go on long drives by myself with Mady in the car, especially in a car that I don't really know how to drive, and to a town that I really don't know my way around. Well a drive that should have taken about an hour and a half, ended up taking me well over two hours. Construction confused me. I got half way, took the wrong exit and ended up back where I started. I cried. I was so worried that Madelynn was going to wake up from her car-ride-induced slumber and scream the rest of the way, with no where for me to pull over, and no way of making my boob reach the back seat to feed her. She slept the first 30 minutes, and then I heard some rustling from the backseat. She was playing with the wings on her crinkly butterfly-like toy. I started looking for somewhere to stop.

I didn't need to. Mady entertained herself in her car seat for over an hour. She played with her bunny, she chewed on her butterfly-like thing, and she examined her feet. When we got to Circuit City, I pulled her out so she could stretch her legs and look around. After the asshole-box had been installed, I fed her in the parking lot. She ate quickly, played with the beads on my necklace for a minute, and was strapped back in her seat without a single protest. I knew it was too good to be true. I knew that by the time we got to the State College exit all hell was going to break loose.

It didn't. She talked the whole way home. I'm pretty sure she was talking to her feet, but who cares? No cries, no screams, not even poop. My baby has the patience of a saint. Now, back home, she got her bath, drank her boob, read The Jungle Book with me, and is now off in baby dreamland smiling in her sleep.

I wonder what this means for tomorrow? It was just too damn easy.

On a side note, I only stalled that black-machine-of-death once. Luckily for us, and the rest of the cars on the road, it wasn't on a hill.

No comments: